• slide01.jpg
  • slide02.jpg
  • slide03.jpg
  • slide04.jpg
  • slide05.jpg
  • slide06.jpg
  • slide07.jpg
  • slide08.jpg
  • slide09.jpg
  • slide10.jpg
  • slide11.jpg
  • slide12.jpeg
  • slide13.jpg
  • slide14.jpg
  • slide15.jpg
  • slide16.jpg
  • slide17.jpeg
  • slide18.jpeg


In April 1948 the business and property were put up for auction and purchased by Walter and Trudy Scrivener from London for £2,850. They moved in with their three sons who joined in with village life. Tony and Bernard joined the local scout troop and the church choir and Trudy was an enthusiastic member of the village Womens’ Institute.

Walter & Trudy Scrivener 7th September 1958

In those days it was still necessary to draw water from the village pump if you fancied a cup of tea!


Shop 1950s

Due to Mr Scrivener’s ill health, Tony helped run the business and in 1961 on the death of his father, Tony became a partner with his Mother.

In 1963 the shop was extended into the cottage next door (formerly the home of Ada and Ephraim Parker, The village cobbler). Three years later it became self-service and a member of the “VG” Group (An independent voluntary buying group).

Shop 1960s

Trudy died in 1971, and Tony and his wife Davina acquired the property and the business and set about major improvements to the house, and to further extend the shop into the end cottage (formerly the home of Jack & Flo Burton). Three Georgian style windows were installed in the front of the shop. The alterations were completed in 1975. The business was successful and specialised in home cooked hams, continental and English cheese and delicatessen. Fresh crusty bread and cream cakes from Giffords bakery at Fenstanton arrived early every day, fresh fruit and vegetables and a Wine & Spirit licence completed the picture.

Tony and Davina decided to retire in 1988 and sold to Philip and Carole Archer.


1920 - 1948